In India the concept of defense training to the school students is not new at all. It was imparted 5000 years ago by the sages to the royal disciples. Lord Ram and Lord Krishna were taught by sage Valmiki and Saddipani. In the modern time, Lord Powell moulded the concept, innovated the scout/guide training and wanted to make it international movement. But it remained at international level. It could not reach to the grassroots levels. The wishes and aspirations of Lord Powell were shattered and bottlenecked. The main problems and loopholes are monopoly and dominance of few scout/guide organization, dormant/unclear policy of government, failure of government before international organizations, political intervention and, no proper encouragement. Consequently the scout and guide programme floated by the government and allocation of crores of rupee to the sector have not yielded the desired results. The benefits of the programme could not reach to all the school and college students due to the non utilization and inefficient utilization of resources.
The Scouts /Guides Organisation (SGO) is a non political, non sectarian and secular organization. The purpose of this organization is to devote its volunteers to character building of Youth in India and abroad and promoting in them the feeling of selfless service to their country and humanity. The SGO has a hierarchy starting from the patrols, troops/companies, groups forming into Local, District, State Associations and goes up to the Nationwide Organization. This is open to all Scouting & Guiding Groups, persons as well as associations that is not affiliated with another national organization. It requires that member groups/associations "follow, and use, Baden-Powell's original program, traditions, uniforms, morals, ethics, and structure as laid out in Baden-Powell's Scouting for Boys, amended only for "health, environmental, first-aid, and safety reasons". Scouting for Boys, amended only for "health, environmental, first-aid, and safety reasons".
The Organisation Members (associations and others) must accept that they are a traditional Scouting organization and committed to keeping alive the Law and Promise and Scouting scheme, as devised by the late Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell. We are not the organization for potential modernists, in fact we insist that our member associations follow, and use, BP's original program, traditions, uniforms, morals, ethics, and structure as laid out in B-P's "Scouting for Boys". We have however, allowed the updating of these programs for health, environmental, first-aid, and safety reasons only.
The Organisation invites all organizations, Scouts & Guides groups, scouters, guiders, academicians, social workers, NGO and others in India in Exile to join us in our activities. The SGO lives by the Founders 4th Scout Law: "A Scout is a friend to all, and a brother to every other Scout".
The main points about this organization are as follows-
- We are the organization for the purpose of furthering independent youth and students’ welfare in the traditional scouting/guiding style pursuant to the methods and ideas of the founder of the scouting movement, Lord Robert Baden Powell of Gilwell, taking law and promise into special account as the working foundations.
- The organization’s goal is to educate children and youths to become free, tolerant and responsible citizens of a democratic constitutional state.
- The bylaws purpose is realized through regular meetings, outings and camps at which children and youths are offered sensible recreational activities and the opportunity to develop a sensible relationship with nature, and where positive social behavior is to be promoted.
- The organization is politically and denominationally neutral, and is not acting on mandate of any kind from one or more or all of its members. It shall refrain from taking any positions on political or religious matters.
- By selflessly promoting scouting/guiding, the organization exclusively and directly pursues charitable purposes in terms of the Tax Code.
- The organization’s funds, including any surplus, shall be used exclusively for the purposes stipulated in the bylaws.
- The members shall not receive any profit shares or any other benefit from organization funds in their capacities as members. No person may be benefited by administrative expenses not covered in the bylaws, or by a disproportionately high remuneration.
- The organization works selflessly; its own economic interests are not the primary pursuit.
Training --The main goals of a Wood Badge course are to:
Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in the corporate world and leading government organizations that are relevant to Scouting's values.
Apply the skills one learns from participating as a member of a successful working team.
View scouting globally, as a family of interrelated, values-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth.
Revitalize the leader's commitment by sharing in an inspirational experience that helps provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its mission.
Generally, a Wood Badge course consists of classroom work, a series of self-study modules, outdoor training, and the Wood Badge "ticket" or "project". Classroom and outdoor training are often combined and taught together, and occur over one or more weeks or weekends. As part of completing this portion of the course, participants must write their tickets.
Various trainings are offered for following Section´s :
Cub & Bulbul Section
Scouts & Guides Section
Rovers & Rangers Section
Group Scoutmasters & Guide Captains(Unit Leaders)
Leaders of Scouting & Guiding Movement
Executives & Office Bearers of the Scout/Guide Organization
Other Persons as and when required
No organization can operate without clearly defined rules and procedures. This page will help to explain some of our rules. While this is hardly the place to publish all the detailed policies of the organization, we would like to point out at least some of the highlights:
The organization abides in all its operations and policies by the Traditional Scout Law and our PO&R.
- We do not actively solicit members of other Scouting organizations to change their membership or affiliation. We recognize that "membership poaching" works both ways, creates animosity and in the end does not benefit anyone, least of all the Scouting & Guiding Movement. We respect the choices other Scouts make in the ways they play the Game. The important point is to play the game, regardless of association.
- We do welcome as a member anyone who supports the traditional methods of Scouting, who is willing to abide by the Policy, Organization and Rules of our organization and who is willing make the Scout/Guide Promise and to abide by the Scout/Guide Law.
- Membership in our organization is open to any person, adult, boy or girl of any racial, caste or national origin, religious affiliation or cultural or economic background. We welcome new members from minorities and provide them with all the support they need to ensure their full and equal membership in the Traditional Scouting/Guiding family.
- We endeavor to make Scouting affordable to everyone by doing all we can to keep our costs to the absolute minimum. Uniforms and other program supplies are available to our members from our own Quartermaster's Stores at cost with no mark-up. Program manuals are supplied exclusively in electronic form, either by download or on a CD. This allows us to distribute any newly updated versions of the manuals at negligible cost to the association or the section leaders who use them.
- All of our leaders and other volunteers who have direct contact with children must undergo our admissions process which includes police record checks, personal references and provisional membership under the direct supervision of an existing member. A more detailed description of the volunteer screening process is outlined elsewhere on this website.
- Further details are available on request from the National Secretary/Chief Commissioner.
That the Scouts/Guides Organisation is facing great trouble to conduct the activities among the youths due to unclear policy of Government of India and, no proper encouragement. Consequently the scout and guide programme. The Government of India encouraged these activities by granting grant in aid by the Ministry on year to year basis for selected activities such as organization of training camps, skill development programmes, holding of jamborees and other activities like audit literacy, environment conservation, community service, health awareness and promotion of hygiene and sanitation.”
With a view to maintain peace and harmony and promote the national integration through scouts/guides activities among the youths, The Scouts/Guides Organization, has been conducting various activities for strategic development of youths at all over the nation.
That The Scouts/Guides Organization, is having its General Headquarter at 1/56 Vikas Marg, New Delhi-110092 (India), and this is the life time member of World Federation of Independent Scouts, Germany (WFIS) one of the international umbrella organization..
That the Concept and ideal of scouting and guiding is a brain child of Robert Stephenson Beden Powell, who has worked out a scheme for providing variety of training to young boys and Girls. Initially these scouting/guiding activities were confined to England but with the passage of Time the activities spread in different countries of the world.
That in order to impart the training in more effective ways, certain government /non-government school were selected with the intimation to the authorities concerned and only after Getting consent from them, training camps used to organized in that school with the sole purpose of training.
That it is important to state here that the organization has all India status and coordinating Various activities with the kind support of local authority to strategic development of youths in more than 15 states and work done on behalf of the organization is praised by High dignitaries of the country and they have motivated the organization time to time by attending the functions. H E the First Lady President of India Smt. Pratibha Devi Singh Patil has also encouraged the members of the Scouts/Guides Organization.
That the organization has been conducting the scouting/guiding programme to developed the skills provide physical fitness as well as proper training of disaster management to students, Where under and whereby the student will be able to find the right path and fight against anti social elements. . The Organization shall be planned to organize the training programme, seminar and other activities time to time among the youths under the implementation of instructions issued by Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Government of India. That to get the better result & best performance the support of concerned officer is seeking by the organization. The organization will coordinate the activities with the successfully coordination of local authority.
That the organization has planned to make essential the scouts/guides training to all. In this context, the “Scouting for all” a training programme is being launched by us to provide the proper training to all to develop the skills, physical fitness as well as proper training of disaster management to students. The Organization shall be prepared to organize the training programme, seminar and other activities time to time among the youths under the implementation of instructions issued by Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India. This programme has been conducted by organization under the guidance of District Youth Officer in each district. Our District organizing Commissioner will make coordination as well as hold the office with DYO.